Saturday, December 31, 2005

ode to 2005

This is an Asher tradition.

2003 is written somewhere in a notebook, and in 2004 I went digital.

My Ode to 2004

Now, 2005

Dear 2005,

It's hard to be the follow up act. Nothing can top 2004 in any respect, but I think you've done pretty well at just getting back on track. You came in at the first New Years that hasn't sucked in a long time, so I knew from then on it wouldn't be a terrible, but still not great year. And that's what you were. Just, a year.

A Year to learn from is what you were. During you I grew and feel at the top of my game right now. You took me the far reaches of Europe, to the concentration camps, to the cemetaries, to the ancient Greeks, to houses of kings and queens and Mozart, to the house of Thomas and Onica and Oma and Opa, to the streets of Venice (sorta), to fine art and not so fine art; the most ugly places on this earth and some of the most beautiful.

You've played a hard game of poker there, 2005. The swings have been brutal, but just like any fish, I got the better of you in the end. No one can win relying on luck an entire game, it just doesn't happen. Eventually skill will beat out luck, and I've been putting on a show down the stretch. Compare my poker game to the beginning of the year. I'm more patient-aggressive. Picking my spots better. Making my moves. All improving.

2005, you were a stepping stone year. I had to jump off of 2004 on to you, and it was a burden for you I'm sure. But now I jump off 2005 and in to 2006. With a chip lead and a run of good cards.

Sincerely yours,

Asher

No comments: