Saturday, April 19, 2008

...and Into the Wild

A new post for a new story.

Dear Danny,

A few weeks ago at the beginning of Spring Break I came home and I told my parents that I didn't want to be in NY anymore. Then we talked for a long time about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, etc. I pitched my few ideas and eventually, we got into some good talks about why I want to go somewhere, etc.

Then, as fate would have it, a night later, my Mom had already rented Sean Penn's Into the Wild. For those of you unfamiliar, it's about a 22 year old who literally runs away from society and works his way from California up to Alaska and eventually dies alone in a bus. The movie was interesting for such a variety of reasons.

1) I'm in the same position as this kid, literally, just graduating (or about to) from college. Just on the base level.
2) I had just talked to my parents about doing a variation of what he did, sans the dying alone part.
3) It was an interesting film as a film, one which did some really great things and some things that I think were absolutely terrible. As a film that is

Right after the movie, my Dad turned to me and asked very sincerely, "So does some of this resinate with you?" My immediate answer was, "Some, but I don't want to run away to Alaska"

The more I've thought about it, the more I've talked about it, I don't feel like I'm running away from anything. I don't feel like I'm running from anything, really. I also don't feel like I'm just "taking time off to travel." I know exactly what I want to do, I know exactly who I am when I do it, and I almost feel too comfortable with that. I could so easily get a job with Ed at Technicolor, or find something at NBC, or some other production company. But I know I can do that in a year. 2 years. Guy Niccoluci over at Late Night told me, "You're young, you can get into this whenever you want. I did when I was 30." The last several years all I've thought in my head was that the sooner I start climbing the ladder the better, but I've come to realize that's not only not true but it's not what I need. I want to feel like I've done something, something for something, anyone else. Writing is great, but why can't I do it while I'm in Africa or India? Why can't I help clean up northern India or Costa Rica, or help refugees in Tibet?

Anyway, I've gotten off track. The point is, in Into the Wild, Emile Hirsch realizes that happiness should be shared and that his decision to run away was one of complete selfishness. Something I learned from the film, something everyone should always keep in mind, I think. I recommend this movie for the reasons I mentioned, and it has a great sound track.

I've rambled I think enough for one night. In closing, I wish I had won the WS in vMLB. I'll be sour about that for a while. Too many injuries.

Asher

No comments: